Sunday, October 10, 2010

Blog Assignment Six

The Networked Student

This was a very neat video. I have never put much thought into why a networked student needs a teacher. I just assumed that teachers were involved either way. Connective learning was a real interesting way to think about the options of future learning. I hope that this way of learning is tried because I beleive that it could really work.

When the question is asked why have a teacher it is throughly answered. A teaacher is there as a model and a guide. Also to help the student sift through the information found. Another way a teacher is needed is for encouragement, teachers will also help students learn good information from bad and choose scholary sources. The teacher is also there to get excited with the student when good information is found and the student begins to enjoy connective learning.

I hope that this type of learning will be used, and soon! I beleive that with teachers as moderators and helpers that this learning will succedd. This is also a good way for students to become more independent. Not just independent in learning but also in other aspects of life.

A Seventh Grader's Personal Learning Environment

This was a great video for a seventh grader! This seemed like a great example of connective learning. It really uses the internet to its fullest. This is a great way of interacting with experts outside of the classroom. I believe that this way of learning would really motivate students. In this video responsibility and freedom went hand in hand. I did not think that science could be mainly tought with computers and internet. I was wrong. This was a great example of how most any subject can be taught through this way of learning.

My PLN in some ways does seem like the seventh graders who made this video. We both have assignments and are expected to do them. Although the subjects are different we both have assignment and are expected to turn them in on time.

The Machine is Changing Us

This was a very shocking video. The revolution from 1984 to the cable boom in the 80's and 90's and the meaning of whatever was very interesting and informational. Although I am not cinvinced that our society is as narcissiistic as he makes it seem, although he does make a valid point.

The part of the video on you tube is very informational. I have never thought about the youtube community or the fact that people are talking to a camera and youtube not to a person.

I am not an avid youtube user. I do assignments for class and watch the occasional video, maybe ten before this class. Therefore I beleive that what Dr. Weschis saying is mostly true. You tube allows people to become more personal. The free hugs video was a way for people to communicate through videos online.

1 comment:

  1. 1 week late

    Interesting perspective. Are you going to be an educator in a connected learning environment?

    I will have a post on the class blog soon on The Machine Is Changing Us.

    ReplyDelete